Pros and Cons of Self-Managed Cloud Hosting Sites Like DigitalOcean and Linode
Self-managed cloud hosting sites like DigitalOcean and Linode are often used to host websites and online services. You can choose the type of server that you need and customize it down to the amount of storage you’ll need.
If you’re planning on making use of a self-managed cloud hosting site, we’ve got a few pros and cons to help you decide if it’s a good fit for your business.
- Self-managed cloud hosting sites like DigitalOcean and Linode are usually quite cheap. This is because they don’t need to include support costs; all they do is rent out the virtual server to you.
- You get a lot more control over how to use your cloud host. This allows you to customize it to your specific needs.
- They’re usually easier to scale. Self-managed cloud hosting solutions allow you to quickly scale your server up and down as you need.
- Excellent performance thanks to having more control over the resources you’re renting.
- Since the servers are self-managed, you’ll need some technical expertise and knowledge in order to achieve your goals. This can be a long and difficult learning process if you don’t have someone knowledgeable on your team.
- Security can be a concern for self-managed cloud hosting because you’re typically responsible for any unauthorized access.
- Managing your own cloud host can be time-consuming, especially if you’re learning as you go.
- Limited support due to the nature of the host being self-managed.